Tuesday 30 September 2008

WEBct Problems

I am having some problems logging into Webct which is frustrating as I would like to get up and running.We have a weeks holiday and I want to use this week to get ahead while I can and introduce myself to other students.I am sure it will be sorted out soon.In the meantime I am reading Tricia Hedge specifically the section on vocabulary because many of my students will be confronted with a considerable amount of new lexis. I have asked the students to keep a vocabulary book and designed a vocabulary worksheet. My strategy is to ask the students to record the most common or useful words they come across and to find out the different forms of the word;verb,noun ,adjective etc including antonyms and synonyms.
The students then put the words into sentences.I have asked the students allow some self study time to work on this. I will also be doing some work on chunking as I am rather taken with the idea that we naturally acquire language in bundles or packets and that learning isolated vocabulary without contextualisation may be a waste of time.
I must say that i find Hedge very good at explaining often quite complex ideas and presenting very practical suggestions that are really useful in the classroom. This I think is what many teachers of English need. Some SLA theories are often just that so it is good to see research translated into practice wherever possible.

1 comment:

west4east said...

Extremely interesting information! I'll sure be sticking around your blog, Qingdaoren!